www.ITNinja.com

We have lots of things to fix and lots of features to implement but would love you to suggest what you feel is important to help us validate our priorities and add new ones!

1. The "More Details" field only accepts plain text and is far too small on the "Ask a Question" page

On the old AppDeploy site, you could insert code snippets and other rich text items, and you could see many lines of text on the screen. Now, all I see is two lines of text and can't do anything but plain text.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Better path to Recently asked questions

Getting to recently asked questions from the homepage takes too many clicks. From the homepage you need to click See More under Q&A. This takes you to a page which shows "Featured Questions", "Popular Questions" and finally "Recently Asked Questions". Unfortunately that box displays even fewer than were on the homepage. Clicking "Show More" under recently asked questions gets you to a page that shows one additional question, you have to click the "More" button again before you see more questions.

I might be using the site wrong, but it seems like this is a very inefficient way to get…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Brian Link responded

So the question home page was redesigned to make it a lot easier to browse questions. Let us know what you think! See it here: http://www.itninja.com/question and read all about the two big updates pushed last night: http://www.itninja.com/blog/view/new-deployment-tips-and-q-a-browsing-features

Brian Link
    ITNinja Engineering Manager

Previous update below:

We are currently working to improve browsing of questions and will be moving away from the “show more” concept. Right now, you might do best to choose “Answer A Question” from under the “Share” menu. Not ideal, but we are on it!

3. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. RSS feeds still not refreshing

When I do an advanced search and get my filters in place, I then create an RSS feed. I can subscribe, and the feed populates. However, it never refreshes new data from NetNewsWire. Does this require login?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. tables in blog posts not showing up properly

It looks like tables I added to my latest blog post are not showing up correcly. the cells just show up below one another one by one...

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Sort by date/newest

It would be nice if the search results sorted by date/

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. show xx results setting not saving

If I set the option on a page to show, say, 75 results, whenever I then go into a post and return, the setting is reverted to the default 25. Is there a way to make this persistent?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. would be good just to be able to search software

its really hard just to look up software now, i dont want to know about the questions, i just want the datahseet. for example adobe reader and all the information that i need to know on how to package it (hate to say, but like classic appdeploy)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Michal Simek responded

If you are looking for deployment tips, you can browse our tips area at http://itninja.com/tips just click “A” and you’ll find Acrobat Reader on the second page.

You can also search for it by typing “acrobat reader” into the search box at the top left of the page. The second to last item on the first page is that product’s software page (others hits include questions and links) http://itninja.com/software/adobe/acrobat-reader-2

Finally, you can also search by tag. On the search page (http://itninja.com/search) you can choose the “Search by Tag” tab and start typing “Adobe Reader”. Choose the “Adobe Acrobat Reader” tag and hit search to see one result under “Software” that again takes you to this same page.

We are working on a better way to “browse” software, but with hundreds of thousands of software titles it is a challenge to offer a simple way to find what you…

9. How can I search for a software and then decide which version I need

Can't find software truecrypt. I allway get Ops.....

Maybe somewhere I can choose "T", find Truecrypt and then can choose the right version for me.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are introducing a way to better search/browse software soon, but for now a search should do the trick:

1) If I type “truecrypt” in the search box at the top of the page, the first hit takes us to the TrueCrypt page in the software library: http://itninja.com/software/truecrypt-foundation/truecrypt/7-2073

2) If you choose the “TrueCrypt Foundation TrueCrypt” tag on the search page’s “Search by Tag” tab, you’ll see one software result which takes you to this same page in the software library. For this search result you can visit: http://itninja.com/search/tag/TrueCrypt%20Foundation%20TrueCrypt

While nobody has shared any tips on the deployment of TrueCrypt yet, you can see what little information we have collected from Add/Remove Programs by clicking the “Inventory Records” button. There, you can find some uninstall command lines which you may find helpful.

10. Sharing Software deployment advice

I'm really struggling to find where abouts I can share deployment advice for a piece of software I am currently working on. When I click on the share tab, and deployment, it just produces a list without any method of sending information on that I can see.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. no ninja-points for rating content

I noticed that if I rate a post, I get an ITNinja point.. good thing I'm lazy or I'd be gathering alot of points for essentially doing nothing too constructive, just randomly clicking stars on posts :-)

I agree the poster should get rewarded for providing highly rated content, but the act of rating itself shoudn't really be rewarded imo

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Broken images

I'm a Kace L1 support employee and wrote a blog for customers. Occasionally my images are broken. When trying to view the image I get a "403 Forbidden" message stating "You don't have permission to access /uploads/images/81803/uaay4g.png on this server."
    I've confirmed others get broken images as well.
    The article is here:
    http://www.itninja.com/blog/view/mastering-managed-installs

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We had some image issues that I’m happy to report have been resolved. We have also implemented a better solution to ensuring these images (and profile images) are more reliably available so it should not happen again!

13. Re-enabled the alphabetic package search

I really don't like the new design at all. One has to filter through all of the search results for packaging information of applications instead of just going right to the alphabetical list.

Please consider bringing it back!

Kind Regards,

Mark

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Read all sites to you

Read for pople who can't read will

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Not approved?

I responded to the email after I registered, but cannot post answers or tips because it says "user is not approved". What do I need to do to get approved?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry, we do need to get this linked and explained in the FAQ. The first time you post anything on the site it must be manually reviewed and approved. These “first post” reviews are typically handled a couple of times a day so the wait should never be very long. It is a tedious process and an inconvenience for all, but the end result is we have no spam on the site and you should see the mess that would littler ITNinja if not for this practice ;)

17. Missing links in posts

This post - http://www.itninja.com/question/adobe-reader-10-1-2-patch-deployment - did have links to external sites, but they have disappeared.

I can no longer find the links in question, can these be restored?

Thanks,
    Dunnpy

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Software Search Capability

I noticed there isn't an option when browsing software to search for a title. Instead you have to browse to a letter, then to a page within the letter.

Sometimes you don't know the full title of the software you're looking for, so you may not even be in the right letter. A search function (for software only) would help in this situation.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Password change

I try to change my password account: detlef.kalass, got mail, but can not login

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You will be contacted directly to help resolve this matter with your account.

20. make it easier to find packaging related content

Currently struggling to find the packaging forum which was easy under Appdeply as that was what the site was all about. Tried a search for "packaging forum" and it comes back with 0 hits...

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve moved to a tag based system so there are no forums. You can view all content associated with any tag just by clicking on it. To provide a more forum-like experience we even enforce selection of some high-level topics so it is easier to browse content. For packaging information I would look to the Software Deployment topic (by visiting “topics” or clicking on any such tag throughout the site).

http://www.itninja.com/topics/software-deployment

You can even narrow in on specific content more closely by viewing more granular tags like, package development, windows installer, or wise package studio:

http://www.itninja.com/tag/Package-Development

http://www.itninja.com/tag/Windows-Installer-(MSI)

http://www.itninja.com/tag/Wise-Solutions-Wise-Package-Studio

To do this without tags we would have had to support hundreds of forums and you’d really have a hard time finding things!

Additionally, the software area will allow you to find any software related content alongside deployment tips, difficulty rating, etc. Check out the following link which is limiting the large…

• Don't see your idea?

www.ITNinja.com

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base