How can we improve the K1000?

Allow users to download on any computer regardless of assignment (v7.0.121306)

In versions 6.4 and older users were able to download software from the User Portal on any computer. In version 7.0 KACE now only allows users to download software to computers that are assigned to them.

This is extremely inconvenient for shared computers. In conference rooms, users aren't able to download software for trainings until the computer checks-in, which for our environment is 2 hours, and by then the meeting is done. This also affects computers used by multiple users in shifts. If our devs put out a new version of software between shifts, the second shift users aren't able to work until the computer checks in and assigns the computer to them.

It would be great if there was a way to toggle off the need for computer assignment to download/install software.

Note: The option under "Settings >> Control Panel >> General Settings >> Device Assignment" does not disable this behavior. It just disables assigning a device to a user, thus preventing everyone from installing software on that device.

103 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TroyTroy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  dana.ragsdillAdmindana.ragsdill (Admin, Quest KACE) responded  · 

This issue was confirmed as fixed in version 7.1.
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention and your patience in awaiting a response.
    We are trying to work through the suggestions, and are starting to reach out to review findings before updating status. You are correct, this should have been changed to complete with the 7.1 release.

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BriggsABriggsA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree Darrell i mentioned that to the Rep that it would of been nice if the admin would of at least responded to this forum to let everyone know it was resolved or being looked at.

• Darrell FDarrell F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BriggsA you must have some clout with the Quest peeps. I agree with Troy that by this time an admin should have posted something...anything. I am excited about this surprise resolution, but why keep us in the dark Quest? My shrinking heart for KACE just grew three sizes this day. Yay!

• TroyTroy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the update BriggsA. We just updated based on your comment and can confirm it is working correctly for us as well. Would have been nice if an admin would have marked this as fixed.

I just wanted everyone to know 7.1 actually resolved this issue, i jumped the gun after updating 7.1 when it wasnt working but i was wrong, 7.1 reverts the changes back to 6.4 prior to the 7.0 upgrade. While it still has the drop down box the computer will correctly fill in regardless of who is logged into the computer when logged into the portal. Props to Quest for reaching out to me and working with me on this issue.

I got all excited when 7.1 came out but it fixed nothing. I think we are moving forward with a new platform.

• TroyTroy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are in the same boat as Darrell, every big meeting is "When is IT going to fix KACE so we can download stuff again?" Our internal tickets and helpdesk workload has gone up at least 10% due to this issue. KACE is supposed to reduce workload not increase it.

The last comment made by an admin on these forums was 4 days ago, yet no reply here for what is technically not even an upgrade but a fix.

In every weekly IT meeting I attend, I get the same question "any new info to this 'new feature' in KACE?" Sadly, I can only tell my bosses that there is no change on this other than additional comments are being posted within the UserVoice forum.

I wonder how many KACE user voices and votes have to be posted in KACE UserVoice for an admin voice to be heard.

I have heard a response via the KKE Open Forum webinar that the feature stays, but no admin is saying anything through this channel. I don't oppose the feature, but a reasonable accommodation to go with it would be nice, See a prior response on that.

Since the issue was initially posted 3 months ago, I'm thinking no one is Koncern enough to respond.

• Tom NapierTom Napier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I performed an upgrade of our test environment from 6.4 to 7.0, This issue was the primary reason (along with the known agent communication issues) that prevents us from moving to this version.

As we have a very large environment (10,000+ devices many of which are multi-user), this issue is a show stopper. Additionally only applications assigned to devices should show up in the portal and not all apps (if also restrict by device is selected in the app association for the portal).

This "enhancement" was not well thought out on the part of the product management team at Quest who gave no consideration for larger environments.

Our support is also coming up on ending and we linked this uservoice as one of the biggest reasons why we are looking at other products. And they hooked us up with support and they informed us they are working on this issue but no ETA.

• Colin McCarthyColin McCarthy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe this change was allowed without some consultation with end users as the knock on effect is devastating. Dell/Quest have basically removed a key feature and selling point of Kace in what is supposed to be an improved product in Version 7.

Our global Kace agreement ends at the end of March.....I guess it's time for me to search for a usable replacement.

• Elliot PageElliot Page commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with making this optional. I can see how it would be very powerful but right now it is causing a lot of frustration and inconvenience.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% agree with Darrell F - this is a huge issue for us.

Users are unable to download software. A feature that we use heavily. We cannot go in and manually set 3500 users to 3500 computers. Even if we did - we have multiple use machines all over the place. 7.0 is not an UPgrade.

A role-based accommodation within the user portal would be most helpful. Alternatively or in addition, a role-based accommodation within the Scripting 'Run Now' section.

• PSU Kace AdminPSU Kace Admin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see an option to set it so a group can be set to be allowed to install the software on any machine and set a group of computers to shared so that anyone can install software to the machines. I like the assignee for asset management and to allow user to add software to their individually assigned systems but prevent them from adding things to every machine that they touch.

This is a devastating change that is greatly impacting our end-users and IT staff. After a week's use, we are strongly considering a restore back to v6.4. This very much limits self-service installs for the customer. Calls to the help desk has only increased with this upgrade. Please allow an accommodation to let user portal software installs occur as it was in v6.4. I really do not want to burn a weekend to rollback.

Well it also hurts admins and techs, countless times we have to install admin level software and it was so great to be able to just use the portal to do quick installs under our login on the portal but we cant do that now without registering that computer on our device list. This feature has fundamentally broken the portal and we are not actively looking at SCCM and phasing out the kace.

i agree, please either remove this feature or allow us to completely disable it.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base