How can we improve the SMA (K1000)?

Patching Schedule Options

When scheduling deployments on patching, it would be nice to set up a schedule to run on the first Thursday of each month, second Saturday, etc.
This way you could schedule a patch job to run the second Wednesday of the month after Patch Tuesday instead of changing the schedule date manually each month.

393 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jeff BrownJeff Brown shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • KevinKevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm glad to see that there will be more scheduling functionality in the next major release, but is there any kind of tentative road map for the next release? Just curious about approximately how many more months of scheduling pain I have to deal with.

• pmasingpmasing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please get this change implemented. The current scheduling options are just not working for us.

• DaleDale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would LOVE this feature! It would allow me to schedule and advertise down-time for production servers.

While I would monitor the process, it wouldn't forget like I do.. (Windows World, DOS Brain)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

for server patching essentially. we want to patch servers on weekends only during the night. vote from me

Is there a way to create a blackout window, when KACE will not patch/reboot, i.e. Mon - Fr 7 AM - 7 PM? I did not set up KACE and am only peripherally familiar with it. Too often, we end up rebooting systems when they a powered on by their owner (I assume the Wake-on-LAN failed to wake them up overnight or on the weekend, or maybe the patches just took longer than expected to roll out - whatever the case). I would rather have the patching and rebooting not occur during standard business hours. Thanks.

• EmilyEmily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We recently purchased three K1000s to manage our environment and are hard at work at building patch detect and deploy schedules along with script schedules. We work in a heavily regulated environment where we must do things at specified times to avoid violation (ie at least once every 35 calendar days). We were planning to use the K1000 to automating tasks as much as possible to ensure that they execute on specific days of the week to (1st Monday, 2nd Tuesday, etc) to avoid compliance violations. As an extra added bonus it will allow us to communicate a consistent experience to our end users so they can plan for things like patching tasks accordingly. This limitation will require human intervention multiple times per month to detect and deploy patches as well as execute scripting tasks to occur on a specific day, adding potential for human error. I'm shocked that this is not readily available in the product, perhaps the first time I've encountered this in a management tool...ever. Please fix!

• John OrsiniJohn Orsini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not like the functionality doesn't exist in other cron add in products - I believe quartz is one that would work. Come on Dell, don't worry so much about language customizations... make the core product more functional.

• KeithKeith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must have. What a pain to change our schedules every month. WHO in this world has a maintenance schedule on the 15th of every month. I think most if not everyone has a set day of the week to schedule jobs like every 2 second Saturday. If there was one function I could have it is this! And fix your documentation that says it works in version 6.3 which states just like version 5 that it does work.

• Ron ColsonRon Colson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ben,

Patch Tuesday isn't always when Microsoft (in practice) actually delivers patches, and none of the other vendors even try. When you combine this with Lumension's testing of patches before they are released to the K1000, this makes PT even less important. Honestly, you should patch when you want your machines patched and they'll get whatever vetted patches are available for them at that time.

I definitely recommend our Patching-related KKE videos for lots more information on these matters: http://www.kace.com/kke

Ron Colson
        KACE Koach

• Ben SchwartzBen Schwartz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Eric Elder and Jeff Liu are right. It's not good enough to just say "2nd Thursday of every month" because this might not be the first thursday after Patch Tuesday (PT). Kace patching must revolve around PT and it's frankly ridiculous that it's not, also that this feature request is not a built in function, and even more ridiculous that it's been open for 3 years. Probably 90% of managed computers are Windows, it blows my mind that patching isn't built around the PT schedule. Please have this feature request give us a built in option to select "first Thursday after PT" (for example).

• Mike BealMike Beal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this for a server update schedule. Forcing reboots on desktops weekly isn't too bad--just a training issue; but servers are a different situation.

You cannot create a custom schedule like 4th Tuesday of Every Month at 4:30PM (30 16 22-28 * 2) because the K1000 uses Cron Classic. The problem with this is you either have to change your schedule every month or pick a day of the month that has the least amount of weekends involved. Scheduling should be fully automated.

• John OrsiniJohn Orsini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just got an email that someone updated this thread. I had hoped it was a KACE employee finally approving our suggestion. No such luck. It caused me to vote for it more anyway. :)

We are in the process of implementing KACE within a government agency where we run Windows, OS X, and Linux. This feature would be a huge benefit for multi-platform environments.

• Stephan HughsonStephan Hughson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote for this feature please. It's very important if you are patching around the Windows world of "Patch Tuesday".

As Eric Elder wrote below, some weekdays are tricky to calculate. The appliance should be able to help us here.

So if we can say...

Second Tuesday of the month. Patch batch A
        Second Tuesday of month + 1 day. Patch batch B
        Second Tuesday of month + 2 days. Patch batch C

That's the sort of thing we desperately need and is missing from loads of patching software out there.

Thanks!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base