SMA (K1000)

Please tell us how you’d like to see the Systems Management Appliance product improved!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Optimize patch order to reduce reboots

I find that patching fully from Microsoft Updates may require 4 reboots on an OS like Vista SP2. Patching that OS with Kbox, might require 10 or 15. End-users don't like reboots. Optimizing patch deployment to a system would be greatly welcomed to reduce the restarts a workstation/server needs.

660 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    19 comments  ·  Patch Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow for a “remove label” option for manual patch labels

Allow for a “remove label” option for manual patch labels created. This ability exists for manual device labels but not for manual patch labels.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Patch Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Devices Firmware update

Kace K1000 appliance is able to update BIOS remotely. But I didn't found any option to update devices firmware, like SSD, hard drive, optical drive, webcam, etc.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Improve the Patch Schedule Drill Down

If I go to Patch Management > Patch Schedules I get a table showing all the patch schedules with columns showing "Pending"; "Downloading", "Executing"... etc. Really useful information at a glance.

If I click on say "Executing" for one of the patches that is running it brings up a list of devices that are currently having patches applied. But it is a list pulled from the inventory. To find out what is actually happening to each computer you have to go into each one, then scroll down to "Patching Detect/Deploy Status" to find out the relevant information. When I've a…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Notifications for Patching

It would be nice to have the ability to link one or more email addresses to a patch schedule kind of like in the reporting. When all the servers in the schedule are finished (completed, error, or reboot pending) an email is sent to notify someone.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Differentiate between "applicable" updates versus "available" updates

KACE shows all 'available' updates but does not differentiate between 'applicable' updates, which makes it almost impossible to know true security vulnerability exposure. For example, if Flash is not installed on a system it KACE still shows Flash as 'missing' - however for security compliance reporting that system is not actually vulnerable because Flash isn't even installed.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Patching - ability to display list of patches to be installed

The option to display "details" of a patch job would be nice. A competitors product was nice in this regard. Key patch testers would know with no clicks just what was to be done to their systems.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Patch Catalog: add field for Date Added to Catalog in Patch Detail

Need a timestamp added to patch detail of when it was added to the Patch Catalog (feed) of your K1000.

Released date is based on when patch was released by Vendor. Sometimes patches (esp. 3rd party ones) can take a week or more before showing up in the patch feed. This is problematic for pre-production testing purposes as there is no date to check against for when it became available to use in your environment.

For example, if testing is 7 days and I check released+7 days in a label to enable production machines (as that is the only date…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Regarding the Patching Schedule, Reboot Options

Regarding the Patching Schedule Reboot Options, I was hoping to see an option that is between “Force Reboot” and “Prompt User”. What I was looking for was “If there is a user logged on, then prompt user” and “If there is no one logged on Force Reboot”.
    We have a few hundred machines (student and faculty/staff) that get patched every night. I want to make sure that the machines get patched (and may need a reboot) and not wait till someone uses the machine to reboot, so forced reboot is great. But, then again, I don’t want a student working…

136 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  14 comments  ·  Patch Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Check all sessions before restarting the machine

When a patch management deploy schedule has a reboot option enabled with the property "Automatically Reboot When No One Is Logged In" set to true, the Dell KACE agent should check *all* sessions on the system, not just the console session. If someone logs-in to their desktop via RDP and then disconnects, the agent (as it works now) will automatically restart the PC because it is only checking the console session.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add "Download Date" as a filter in creating patch smart label.

I would like to be able to use download date as a criteria in creating a patch smart label. I am currently using release date, but that sometimes causes issues for me when patches are downloaded long after their release date.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Initiate patch installation to local machine from patch detail page

From the adminui/patch.php page, add a button to force a detect/deploy for the patch on the current machine. This would be useful for trouble-shooting failed patch deployments when only a few machines have trouble.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Patch Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Run Patching when idle

I would like the ability to have a patching schedule based on system idle time. ie have a check box that says run when system is idle for ___ minutes.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Patch Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Date when a patch was added to KACE, not just when it was released

Since not all patches are available on the day they are released, it might be beneficial to see when that particular patch was added to KACE. We don't want to deploy patches that are untested in our environment, so having that date there would allow us to know both when it was released from Microsoft (for example) and when it was actually added to KACE (4-10 days after).

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Patch Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Patch Settings for Online Source should show info about patches.tgz

Should at least have the file size. But would also be nice if a summary of the patches was available.
    Since the process of moving new patches to the offline kbox is manual, it would be nice to provide information about whether it needs to be done.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Security - Advertise Patches

SMS/SCCM have the ability to advertise patches in the form of a pop-up, notifying the user that they have x days to install patches and reboot, at the end of which it will be forced. Also the ability to force the install and give the user x days to reboot or else it will be forced.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  10 comments  ·  Patch Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. completion message

Currently in patch scheduling > Notify > you must have a progress message in order to save a completion message. Also, the progress message shows at all times until the job is done.

1. Do not require a progress message in order to have a completion message. I only want a completion message in Notify. There is not much point to the progress message, it's just more noise end-users don't care about or need to see, especially if the progress message always shows during the job.

2. More importantly, for the progress message, allow timeouts to be specified on the…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Sort Columns in Patch Catalog with Number as Such (Not as Strings)

The "Installed", "Missing" and "Error" fields in the Patch Catalog to not sort correctly. They sort alphabetically instead of numerically. Please fix this.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Ask user to confirm before rebooting

On the reboot prompt, ask user if they are sure they want to reboot. Some users don't see the window pop up and hit enter and reboot by mistake without a chance to close their work.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Patch Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base