SMA (K1000)

Please tell us how you’d like to see the Systems Management Appliance product improved!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to report on newer applicable patches for inactive devices

KACE is a snapshot in time for patch detection. My customer would like the ability to show compliance based on any applicable patches. Example if a device last detected on the 1st tuesday of a month, we need the ability to show those missing patches as well as the patches released on 2nd tuesday of the month.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Patch Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Change Patching push folder

The K1000 pushes patches to C:/windows/temp -- and our endpoint protection suite is catching all of these with the upgrade to 8.0.318 for some reason, meaning we have to white list each new patch push. There should be a way to change this to an arbitrary folder of our choosing so we can modify permissions adequately on the folder, and white list it on our endpoint protection softwares.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add Zoom to the Patch Catalog

I see that GoToMeeting is in the patch catalog. Can Zoom be added as well?

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Patch Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to add smart label to dell update subscription

Dell updates needs to be setup like Patch Management. We have 100s of different models and we only update BIOS. Currently, we have to download 40gb and sync to the REPs to support deploying the BIOS. Also need the ability to add drivers/bios for other manufactures similar to uploading drivers on the K2

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow for reboots before detect and deploy cycles

We have encountered many times when a user leaves for the day without logging out, rebooting, etc and as a result patches fail to install because an application is running. It would be nice to be able to say as part of a patch schedule "reboot prior to detection" or "reboot prior to deployment." In my case, I want the patch cycle to look something like this:
    Run detection
    IF patches are required, reboot prior to deployment (to ensure all applications are closed)
    Deploy patches
    reboot if reboot is required

There of course would need to be alert mechanisms for…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Please add folders to Patch Management Schedules to organize all the different schedules.

I have a lot of patch schedules. Some for servers. Some for computers in different locations. It would be helpful if I could organize these into different folders instead of having them all together.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Hide Patch Schedules with devices and labels out of scope for user

The K1000 8.0 permission changes prevent users in a limited sub-admin role from adding out-of-scope devices/labels to a patch schedule. It also prevents them from running these schedules.

The user can however still view these patch schedules and remove/modify them. It would be better if any schedule containing an out-of-scope device/label were simply hidden from the user. This would prevent them from accidentally, or intentionally, deleting or breaking an existing schedule.

Alternatively, allow specific patch schedules to be restricted based on role setting.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Alerts additional schedule option

With current version of K1000 it's possible to schedule deployments on patching on preselected dates like run on the first Thursday of each month, second Saturday, etc.
    I would like to have same option for Distribution/Alerts. Currently there is no way to send alert remaining users to shutdown their programs ( like day before )
    before updates will be executed on second Saturday of the month. You can only setup specific day or same day recurrence ( like every 10th day of month )
    It will be great if both patching and alerts schedules can be run on same set…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Central scheduling page

A centralised location/page where you can see all of your tasks and when they are scheduled.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Pre/post-pend batch or script

I would like to see an option to pre/post-pend a batch or script command for Patch management, Dell updates, and Agent updates for systems that we have running DeepFreeze. I could use it to issue the CLI thaw/freeze command. It's more variables than I care for to try to coordinate Patch Management and Deep Freeze maintenance windows together, and some of the systems take longer to patch than others.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Widget - real time status of a scheduled patch deployment from home screen

Instead of having to go to each individual patch deployment schedule, to check the current status, the information can be pulled from a widget on the home page. When selected, more in depth info on the schedule(s) running will be listed with the percentage of complete/incomplete can be listed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Patch Management Compliance

Under Patch Management > Catalog you can see the compliance of a single patch. It shows you the number of computers that have a patch installed or missing but you can't click on the numbers and get a list of the computers. Being able to click on the numbers would be great. You could get an instant view of computers names that have a patch installed or missing.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Patching needs a Workflow Builder with Scripts, Notifications, Machine Actions.

KACE needs the ability to build out a patching session as a workflow.

With a Pacthing Workflow you can add in functions such as separate OS and Application patching schedules, Notifications, Scripts, Machine actions, etc. and have them all run within a set overall time and recieve vaulable notifications as the process is running or if something isn't working.

Currently I have to run scripts before and after certain servers are patched to manage applications/services so a Detect and Deploy job with multiple reboots doesn't corrupt data. Whenever a schedule time needs adjusted, changes have to be made all over…

75 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Patch Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow Patches to apply when the Kace prompt is deferred

Currently, when the KACE agent prompts the user that a reboot is required to complete the patching process, it will give them the option to reboot now or defer until later.

it will not apply the patches if the user defers until later, and then manually reboots through windows.

The agent doesn't seem to know to apply the patches anyway, since a reboot is taking place.

Spoke to a KACE rep and they told me this feature is not available currently.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Patching scheduler needs granular selection of the months for "Run On The" options

Windows Task Scheduler gives a check box for select all months or you can granularly select the months you want to run a schedule on. This would be a good feature to add to the KACE patching scheduler.

Current scheduler will require me to create 6 schedules for a job that I have to run every OTHER month on the Third Friday of those months. The schedules would be much cleaner if I could just select the months I want the schedule to run on.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add Offline Update Option for Dell Updates

We would like an "Offline Update" option for Dell Updates, similar to the functionality available in patch management to avoid having to reach out directly to downloads.dell.com.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Increase reboot text and import jpeg for logos

Option to increase the text for the reboot. 255 characters is very limited.
    Ability to import a jpeg for the logo.
    Ability to have multiple logos or ability to uncheck the logo where not applicable. We have unique groups within our customer that don't want the corporate logo because they were divested but still under our support.
    Ability to set the reboot time instead of snooze. Example instead of snooze, reboot in 1,2,4 hrs.
    Ability to only popup an alert that patching is completed for server OS, so the admin knows the patches are installed and ready for a reboot. …

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Security Patches should not be superseded by non security patches

In our environment, we use Kace to deliver Microsoft security patches to our Windows Servers. We also use the setting to inactivate superseded patches to reduce patch installation redundancy.

I found the July Windows Server 2016 cummulative update, KB4025339, was superseded a week later by KB4025334, which is a non-security update. This completely messes up my patching workflow.

My current options, as I see it, are to either included non-security updates in my patching catalog and figure out which ones I am going to allow, or to allow superseded patches to remain active.

Based on this, in my opinion, a…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Fix the Patch Catalog

Monthly Quality roll-ups do not supersede Monthly Security-only roll-ups as they should.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base