SMA (K1000)

Please tell us how you’d like to see the Systems Management Appliance product improved!

How can we improve the SMA (K1000)?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Dashboard for Help Desk

I would like to see a better solution for reporting on the Help Desk side, similar to the data on the summary page; Managed Operating Systems, Tasks in Progress, Distributions, ect.
    I am currently reviewing 3rd party to pull this data an make it live, and would much rather the data be live in the KBOX instead of using flat data such as HTML, excel or another format. With these reports, if I want to run historical data I need to change my SQL, save the excel data or go through several steps on the help desk section, but there…

802 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      21 comments  ·  Service Desk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Better Customization Options in user portal knowledgebase

I'd like to see a more powerful WYSIWYG editor for the knowledgebase articles, maybe supporting Rich Text Format (RTF) and/or full HTML. I know Markup is already supported, but it's not ideal when you're trying to paste already formatted info into the knowledgebase or creating articles from scratch. There are nice WYSIWYG editors available that could probably be used, versus creating one from scratch.

Being able to forward the knowledgebase articles via email and retain the formatting would be nice too. Even the Markup formatted articles seem to be stripped when emailing them.

582 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        35 comments  ·  Service Desk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Service Desk - Editing Comments

Once comments are saved in a ticket/request, they can no longer be edited by users or administartors. Could we create a way for the comments to be edited by ticket owners only after the comment has been saved in a ticket? Could we set this type of field as a Read-Only or Change Permission?

472 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          36 comments  ·  Service Desk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Allow view access to all tickets without being a ticket owner

Currently the only way to provide view access to all tickets is to make the user a ticket owner. Otherwise they can only view their own submitted tickets. We'd like to be able to provide view-only access to all tickets in the admin portal WITHOUT having the person be ticket owner. Also would like to have the option to provide ticket modify access without being owner. This would be for supervisory positions who need to check in on ticket details but we do not want anyone assigning them tickets.

462 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            33 comments  ·  Service Desk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Uninstall software directly from inventory list

Ability to mark unwanted software titles in the Inventory Software listing and having the following options in the Choose Action dropdown:
            • uninstall from all computers
            • uninstall from selected computers
            It would be significantly easier to get rid of unwanted software instead of creating a new uninstall script for each software title and different versions of it in the worst case.

297 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              planned  ·  4 comments  ·  Software Compliance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Allow to test smart label on edit, and to add more criteria fields from the GUI. (as opp. to mySQL)

When creating smart labels, you can only preview the smart label when creating it. After it's been created, modification is only possible by modifying the actual SQL query. (hardly user friendly).

Also, in addition to editing a smart label, allowing additional criteria fields to be added within the GUI would help, otherwise, the user would really know how to write either MySQL RegEx or MySql queries (both of which aren't that easy for the casual user)

115 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                planned  ·  14 comments  ·  UX  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Increase max zip file upload size from 2GB

New software is requiring zip files to be greater than the 2GB upload limit for the KBox 1000. This maximum size needs to be increased.

111 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  planned  ·  9 comments  ·  Managed Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Asset Permissions

Updated Asset Permission to where buttons at buttom of asset can be added or removed based on job requirements, etc.

For example: If employee only make updates to assigned assets but does not have rights to delete make permissions to remove Delete Button in assigned role or make it grayed out.

78 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    7 comments  ·  Asset Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    planned  ·  Dean Wade responded

We will be implementing Role Based Access Control features over the next few releases.

• Enhanced UI & Feedback Engine for Help Desk

Techs may not care about aesthetics but our users do. The help desk needs a more modern user interface.
                    Additionally a feedback engine, like this one, for voting on feature requests would be a wonderful addition to the K1000.

63 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      planned  ·  4 comments  ·  Service Desk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Include scripts, distributions, WOL, and patch schedules as machine action options

This way we could easily and quickly run a script, deploy a software package, or initiate a patch schedule (for just that machine) right from the machine list or machine detail page. Would be extremely handy, browser-agnostic, and save a lot of time.

For example, if you have the two free Bomgar licenses and chose the hosted option you could initiate a Bomgar session with one or two clicks from the machine page without sending an e-mail message. Or if you are working on getting your patches up-to-date you could focus on one machine and kick off a patch schedule…

44 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        planned  ·  5 comments  ·  UX  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • K1000 8.0 themes

The 8.0 version theme is very bright and hurts the eyes. I think it would be good to allow several themes, especially to allow a company to theme the site to be how they would like it.

34 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          2 comments  ·  End User Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Support for Dell hardware (SNMP) and transfer to the inventory

Since almost every SNMP tool is able to access the Dell enterprise MIB i really wonder why THE Dell tool does not support it's own systems. (K1000 can only access the standard MIB!). Dell would only have to add the Dell enterprise MIB, which should be no effort at all.

What I want in the end:
                          Scan for SNMP devices like Switches, Printers, etc... and add them to the inventory automatically.
                          Essential information: Device name, IP, Model, Service Tag

Otherwise you would have to enter the information by hand. Especially the service tag is needed to get the Dell service…

32 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            3 comments  ·  Agentless  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            planned  ·  Ken Galvin responded

Update: You are likely aware that we added the ability for you to add custom SNMP OID GETs in v6.3. We also have established a tag on ITNinja (and added a “how to” there) regarding SNMP customization with the expectation that our Ninjas will request and share information on how to get just the info they need, I hope this helps. In the following release, we will have new fields in which to map the collected data in addition to the ones with which are a already familiar.

• Check client IP address when agent checks in.

We have quite a few traveling salesmen that are unable to get software from the software library. The problem is the IP address is incorrect on the K1000 we have to manually "Force Update" for this to be corrected. What I would like to see is if when the KACE agent checks in to the K1000 it would check the IP address that the K1000 has stored and if it is different from the new address up the K1000 with the new IP address. This would actually solve several issues with getting to offsite clients through the K1000.

30 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              2 comments  ·  End User Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We will fix the underlying issue of targeting the client system, but not sure we will implement the fix in this way. Either way, it’s in our plans to address

• Limit access to report categories and asset types by role or user label

I would like to limit access to report categories and asset types by role or user label. For example, we have a vehicle maintenance queue. We have vehicles as assets and we have reports for those vehicles. My vehicle maintenance guy doesn't need be able to see and modify the IT assets or reports, he just needs to see and modify his vehicle assets. Also, he doesn't need to be able to see the IT reports, just reports for his vehicles.

29 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Asset management needs to display more than 6 columns of data. We currently have need for 9-10 columns to list everything on the screen.

Asset management needs to display more than 6 columns of data. We currently have need for 9-10 columns to list everything on the screen.

29 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  4 comments  ·  Asset Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Customizable list views will be part of the 6.0 release late this year.

• Be able to change asset type from computer to own defined asset type

Today (v6) if you setup an agentless device they will all automatic be created as an asset type of "computer". However, most likely you will have created your own asset types like switches, printers etc that are also network devices however not computers. This will create confusion since you can have two assets with the same name but only one of them will be linked to the correct device. You can of course make a workaround and add the asset type in a separate field in the computer asset. However, if you make a listing then of asset type computers…

22 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Asset Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We will provide chassis specific templates in a future release that can be used for this purpose

• Better Alert Scheduling

Under Reports/Alerts, it would be nice if the scheduling were better. As it is now, you can only schedule an alert to run every day or once a week. It would be nice if you could schedule an alert bi-weekly, monthly, yearly, etc.

21 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      planned  ·  2 comments  ·  UX  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Managed Install Scheduling

I would love to see the ability to set a more specific deployment schedule for the managed installs. Make it like the patch deployment scheduling where you can pick certain day(s) of the week, specific time of day, specific date & time, etc. We have many machines that can only have software deployed to them at specific times and this would help automate that process.

20 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Managed Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Correct "Move to Queue" sort order when in ticket detail

Make sort order for "Move to Queue" and "New Ticket From Queue" consistent. Currently queues are listed in alphabetical order on the ticket listing page. However, when in the ticket detail page, the "Move to Queue" list is not sorted alphabetically.

18 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          3 comments  ·  Service Desk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Online Kscripts - Add 'Run on next connect if Offline'.

Online Kscripts - Add 'Run on next connect if Offline'. Many times a system goes offline when a scheduled script was supposed to run. Adding in this feature would insure that machine still ran the script. Currently we are always troubleshooting, "Is scripting broken?", versus "Did konductor NOT assign the machine the script". If we had this feature we could focus on machines that have a broken scripting mechanism.

18 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base