How can we improve the SMA (K1000)?

Change behavior of smart label after being created, to update the "View by" from existing DB.

When a smart label is created, and even though testing it returns a close to accurate result directly from the database query, the "View By" drop down in the inventory for that smart label, doesn't start to get populated until the next agent checkin.
Since the information is mostly in the DB, I would suggest that the View By would get populated from the existing database, and update the contents of the smart label as needed upon next agent checkin.

(currently, if testing a smart label, after actually creating it, you would have to wait some 15 minutes at least just to figure out if it's doing what you expect from within the "View By" category

14 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Georges Khairallah shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jonathan Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Mike Nestor:

That script doesn't work for machines that may be off, i.e. laptops that only check in every few days or so.

However, nice script otherwise.

• Jonathan Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! there should be a button for each smart Label for "Apply Now" which will apply that label based on the most recent saved data. Most data points on a computer don't change:

For example: I may have a "new" need to label all of the HP Laptops. Well, If I create a new Label for this purpose, I may have to wait SEVERAL DAYS before it will be applied to all of the HP Laptops in my organization(as machines may only check in sporadically).

BUT the label COULD be applied immediately, as KACE KNOWS which machines were HP Laptops last time they checked in.

• Georges Khairallah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mike, that may be possible. I do a see a problem with that though:
    For me to run a script on the machine, I'd have to manually go back to scripting, target one machine (or however many there are on the expected result of the label... again .. manually), to force uploading the Inventory.xml. That is quite inconvenient.

My idea is that KACE should handle this without requiring a re-checking. If the test works already returns the potential results of the smart label, there shouldn't be a need to force reuploads of the inventory.xml at all. I'm even ok with the results populating in the smart label, even if inaccurate, and on the next checkin, the results would update for accuracy.

• Mike Nestor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can get around this bit. Just create a new script that re-uploads the inventory.xml file.

This causes kace to re-evaluate smart labels without taking that long. Would be nice if there was a way to do this without fudging the last inventory time.

Launch “$(KACE_APP_DIR)\KCOPY” with params “”$(KACE_DATA_DIR)\inventory.xml“ ”$(KACE_SERVER_URL)/service/inventory.php?KUID=$(KBOX_MACHINE_ID)&VERSION=$(KACE_AGENT_VERSION)“”

• Jared commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely! Just as some email applications give you an option to apply a created smart label or smart folder to the existing mail, rather than just email that comes in after that point.
    If the 'test label' can pull the correct list, there is no reason that you should have to wait for inventory checkin for it to apply the label.

This is especially important for machines that may only check in on a sporadic basis. If I have a laptop that is only checking in once a week, I don't want to have to wait a week for the smart label to be applied.

Feedback and Knowledge Base