How can we improve the SMA (K1000)?

Kagent: Show icon on client machine (with info)

It would be great to have an option to show the kagent icon on the system tray on client machines (with an indicator show connected/disconnected).

If the user double clicks on it, it should show information about what managed job is scheduled and for when and what jobs were sent to it (mini history).

This would help local techs to provide better end user management/troubleshooting.

It wouldn't hurt to also provide (when double clicked on the icon) a window that shows a list of authorized apps (software library) that can be installed by the end user.

263 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Nirmal shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Craig Andersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i would like the ability to see show if a device is pending a reboot with action item to reboot the machine. install pending patches/on demand patching. Ondemand patching would be for servers, if the patches could be prepopulated, the server admin could click install now. List software available to install from the user portal or managed installations(minus licensed software) .I think the biggest benefit would be the ability to activate a script for like Windows 10 build updates. Currently, we sync the iso to the machine and then have to reach out to users to schedule a time update Windows 10, Update process takes 2hrs and we have 70k devices that have to be updated once a year because we are using Pro instead of Enterprise. i am thinking, the alert would notify that a package deployment is required. the user can either run now or schedule a time to perform the task.

• S.Nagel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for you help - I acitvated it and it works as designed. I hope the agend will be extended like the initiator of this thread asked for in 2011. A "job schedule/queue/history" would be great.

• Tyler Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Check page 362 and 363 of the manual. Go to agent communication settings and enable "Agent status icon on device". Your agents will need to run an inventory and restart for the icon to appear.

• S.Nagel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just updated to K1000 V9. Can't see the tray icon on the updated Windows 10 machines KACE agents V9.0.167

• Gilles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It could be nice if we can see the current tasks running on the computer (patching, inventory, scritping updates,…).

• Darrell F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too would really like to see this system tray feature with the ability to install software items. Management saw this ability in a competitor demo and are asking "why not in KACE?"

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this idea as of right now we are using bginfo to put some system info on the desktop. I am always needing to force inventory on managed installs so giving this option to the customer would be great. If you could email it to me that would be great. I could not find your email.

• Fabian Caignard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey, what is following is not to provide a systray icon on client machne but it could be a first step to it :

I "developped" a little tool in HTA (HTLM and VBscript) which display computer details (hostname, domain, current user, IP) and if Kace agent "status" : started and connected to appliance.
    This tool also contains 2 buttons to :
    - perform a "K1000 Check-in" (in fact runs "runkbot -s 4 0")
    - "Check for pending Installs" (in fact runs "runkbot -s 3 0" and "runkbot -s 6 0")
    In addition, this tools is a little bit customizable (by adjusting values in a INI file) :
    -You can add your company logo
    -You can adjust the tool title
    -Display an "external link" button with you custom label and custom URL (ie. : a button to redirect users to your Intranet or your Service Desk portal).

If you're interested to get this free tool, get in contact with me I will send you the msi by mail

• Ryan Tusia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would basically replace the user portal with a status tray icon, or at least link to the user portal. This icon could be useful for manual check-ins, patching status, software install status, current and recent tickets, ticket submission and status, remote support request, support chat (which can be logged into tickets automatically), and I am sure many other things.

Note: These are NOT all my ideas, but a collection of things I have noticed people asking for in a bunch of different ways. A status tray icon just brings them all together nicely.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a good replacement for Bginfo. Shows info from the inventory that kace has already inventoried and pending installs, patches, reboots, etc. Great idea!

• BlaiseG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having been in PLANNED for nearly 4 yrs, the status of this suggestion needs to be changed (despite the fact I support the idea).

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the last time an inventory was uploaded would be nice. A connection status indicator (even if it is just the icon being different for connected/not connected).

• Chris Blake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should be protected and configurable; could allow users and/or technicians to do tasks at the workstation such as kick off a patch job, check in for managed installs, log a ticket, kick off a script, access to library objects, agent indicator option, remove agent(password-protected), much more possibly.

• Michael Irvine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great addition. It would help us to know what task has been sent and not have to rely on the kace box.

• BlaiseG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our Help Desk and End User Computing teams wish to know what the agent is doing. We typically do not utilize KACE notifications to indicate a script is running or software is being installed to avoid the inevitable confusion by our end users (and the eventual calls to our Help Desk). Our techs would ideally like to peak into an icon into the system tray to confirm a requested action has been completed (e.g., status of script or software installation). This is often difficult when logged into the targeted machine. Having status messages written to a log that can be easily viewed from the system tray icon would be extremely useful.

• Rudy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice if system tray icon could show this info : Computer name, IP, Mac, OS and user name. The ability for the user to initate support request form tray icon.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would vote but i'm out of votes. I love this idea... sort of like what just about every other Managed service platform has.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base