How can we improve the SMA (K1000)?

Allow Parent tickets to pass fields to child tickets

Allow Parent tickets to pass information to child ticktes in a process (workflow). eg, if creating a new user you would want to pass the user name, dept, phone etc from the partent ticket to other departments involved in the new user creation. Currently these have to be re-typed in each child ticket.

308 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sandi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think there is enough votes that this should be considered and done. 3 years is ridiculous to wait for something like this and when it's done you should have the option of not always copying information. For example we want the info to copy when it is a process but when it's an outage we don't want the client info from the parent copying into all the child tickets. Currently using a rule to copy the parent to child but we then can't use the parent/child relationship with outages.

• Robyn Thorp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Planned for upcoming? As far as I can tell this still is not the case! This definitely should be done and it shouldn't take 3 years to do it!

• justin holmes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My need is pretty simple but requires this. If I have a project and the child tickets take a certain amount of time to close. I want that time spent in the child ticket to be added to the time spent field in the parent ticket.

• Darren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Which release and when? It's only been 1 year, 7 months, 12 days since it has been planned...

• Paul Mills commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see the last comment from the parent ticket added to the child tickets when the parent ticket is closed. This way the explaination for why the ticket was closed gets passed to the child tickets so the users know why their ticket has been closed.

• Sean Burke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. To expand on this, I think there should be a true parent-child relationship for the tickets that are spawned. For example, Dell implements Stages where items at each stage need to all be completed before you move to the next stage. Although I see why this might be useful, I think a better implementation would be a parent ticket followed by child tickets which can also have children, etc. So if for example you have a new hire workflow, a user selects AD Account Needed from a drop down within the parent ticket, either yes or no. If they select yes, a child ticket is spawned to create an AD account (and, like suggested, passes certain information such as the name, department, telephone number, etc to the child ticket).

• Sandi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree we have created processes (work flow) to streamline the work flow and not having the parent ticket information flow to the child tickets is a pain. Since it is a workflow the user name, phone, location etc. will be the same for all of the tickets, parent and child.

Feedback and Knowledge Base