How can we improve the SMA (K1000)?

Support for Dell hardware (SNMP) and transfer to the inventory

Since almost every SNMP tool is able to access the Dell enterprise MIB i really wonder why THE Dell tool does not support it's own systems. (K1000 can only access the standard MIB!). Dell would only have to add the Dell enterprise MIB, which should be no effort at all.

What I want in the end:
Scan for SNMP devices like Switches, Printers, etc... and add them to the inventory automatically.
Essential information: Device name, IP, Model, Service Tag

Otherwise you would have to enter the information by hand. Especially the service tag is needed to get the Dell service information. Otherwise Excel would be superior to the K1000...

32 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stefan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Ken Galvin responded  · 

Update: You are likely aware that we added the ability for you to add custom SNMP OID GETs in v6.3. We also have established a tag on ITNinja (and added a “how to” there) regarding SNMP customization with the expectation that our Ninjas will request and share information on how to get just the info they need, I hope this helps. In the following release, we will have new fields in which to map the collected data in addition to the ones with which are a already familiar.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wasn't thinking when I added the comment about Dell devices. I was thinking of other systems I use that allow MIB imports. If it's done by SNMP or not, I already have all of the information I ever wanted, and some I never wanted, to know about all of my Dell equipment that is seen by the K1000. If I could pull half of that information on my network switches or a network printer I would be thrilled.

• Nico commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The SNMP function is much better in the 6.3 now, but still I need to import MIB, which would be superior than manual linking the OID to the matching fields

• Tom Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello - I am looking to be able to export selected OID info. In my case, the OID with page counts for my printers & MFD's, so support recommended I put in my vote for this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base