SMA (K1000)

Please tell us how you’d like to see the Systems Management Appliance product improved!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. The ability to delete built-in asset subtypes.

New in v 9, they provide built-in subtypes for printers. We don't asset tag printers so we don't need those subtypes, but I'm not able to delete them or even edit them to remove the printer-specific fields to make it usable.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    4 comments  ·  Asset Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Location

Allow Location field to be Required when assigning a asset

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Asset Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Display all "assigned to" assets in user record

Currently, if you go to a user's record, it will show all associated devices and "associated assets", but ONLY if you have added a custom field of "user" to the asset. There is the built-in field in assets of "assigned to", it would be nice to have the user record display anything that has their name in the "assigned to" field in an asset to eliminate the need to duplicate data.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Asset Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. License Compliance module change for Server 2016

Microsoft server 2016 is now licensed per core and you can buy a minimum 8 cores when you buy a license for Server 2016. In Microsoft volume license center you see quantity of 8. So If you buy a server with 6 cores the K1000 needs to know to use 6 cores of your 8 core license leaving 2 cores left to use for another server. If this change isn't made you will have to do manual calculations to figure out if you are compliant.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Offline export of Software Catalog

The Software Catalog is regularly updated from Dell, but there is no mechanism to export the catalog from an online K1000 to and offline K1000 like there is for patches. Either a separate export/import mechanism for the Software Catalog, or making it part of the patch transport is needed.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Improve "Link" field type

Improve Link Field Type to support additional types of links (ex. UNC, file://, smb://, etc.). Right now (5.4 SP1), it appears to only support http and ftp link types. When you want to associate a document with an Asset, sometimes linking to a centrally-stored file would be far more efficient than the current, singular, choice of attaching it.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Asset Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make asset archiving easier to manage in v7

I have version 7 and I'm happy there's archiving, but unhappy about a couple things.
    1) You should be able to archive (and undo pending archive) from the inventory screen as well as Asset screen (where it is now). For people like me who use the K1000 to support end-users, there's little reason to go into Assets.
    2) A machine is archived due to not checking in. That's great. HOWEVER, when they DO check in, that doesn't remove the pending flag. It should! We shouldn't have to manually change the pending status because of this.

Another however: If we manually…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. synchronising assets to an external database

In our organization, assets inventory, localization data, financial data are available in other databases. If the k1000 could connect to theses databases we could import updates automatically like importing users from ldap.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Change Asset History Retention

Inside the Asset history for each type I would like to have it changed so that the asset history retention can be individually controlled for each Asset type. For example, I have a "Branch Office" asset that shows address and internet provider info. I would like to keep any changes to this information forever because there's not many changes, but when there is, it's important to know when the change was made. However, I cannot set it to keep the history forever, because it bogs down the KACE appliance with keeping all changes for any Asset. I'm stuck with the…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is under consideration but not planned for the next release, Please continue voting if you’d like to see this feature prioritized for a future release.

10. Asset Management numbering

After purchasing KACE as a replacement (& improvement) of WebHelpDesk (www.webhelpdesk.com) we have found that it doesn't do something that we think is quite basic - asset management numbering.

With WHD we create a new asset, it allocates a unique (primary key) number eg 1001 for that asset. We tell it what type of asset it is (monitor, access point etc) and provide details like serial number etc. When we create the next asset it gives us the next unique number eg 1002 and so on. With computers we use this unique number to name the computer eg…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Field "Unit Cost" - able for Cent amounts

Field "Unit Cost" - able for cent amounts

We need the ability to add a Cent amounts (with " , " or " . ") in the prices of the assets. We're currently using an extra field for this, but the original KACE field is not possible to delete: so we have 2 fields for one information.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Adobe Acrobat DC Standard/Pro license differentiation

In the past the K1000 could handle license management of Acrobate, until version DC. Since Adobe now users the same executable for DC Standard and Pro, Kace allocates Standard licenses for both versions. So while you have 10 DC Pro licenses, Kace will never show that your using any of them.

My request is for Kace to figure out a way to be able to include Acrobat DC into the licensing compliance functionality again for DC Pro and Standard.

There is some info on ITNINJA regarding work arounds other are trying, but it only works for reports.

http://www.itninja.com/question/how-do-you-inventory-against-deploy-and-track-licensing-for-adobe-acrobat-dc-std-pro

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Automatic user to device mapping

Detect if logged-in user (maybe just for a certain smart label, like laptops) is in the user database, and automatically assign that asset to that user.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Asset Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Ability to import existing data into new KACE fields

For example, the Asset Status field that was recently introduced, we have been using our own custom field for this purpose and now cannot remove the built in field from an asset record, we should have the ability to transfer our data from the existing field to the new one or the ability to export and then import to the new field.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Print/create asset barcode

Ability to create an asset tag with barcode so that assets can be physically tagged and tracked in the Kace environment.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Asset Change History displayed for each Asset on their Details page

What we'd really like to see is a running list of changes made by my staff (not including agent reported data) to any of our custom defined fields for our assets, preferably located at the bottom of each asset's "details" page underneath the Service Desk Ticket and Related Asset information.

Say for instance I go into an asset several months down the road and change a “Physical Location” field of a PC from one office to another. I'd like to have these types of changes logged at the bottom of the asset page instead of included in the "Show All…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Category Field in the Contract Asset Type K1000

In Asset Management one of the types is "Contracts" the default contract categories are Contract-Software, COntract-Other, and Contract Hardware. I want to add another category of contracts and when I duplicated the Contract Software I found that I could not change the Category field. And the duplicated Contract was not part of the Contract Category. I would find it very useful to be able to change that category for that asset type.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. I am trying to find a way to use the K1000 to receive an alert when a computer has a "Blue Screen" error in the Event Logs.

i am trying to find a way to use the K1000 to receive an alert when a computer has a "Blue Screen" error in the Event Logs.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Ability for users to accept "Assets"

We should have the ability for users to accept "assets" that get assigned to them. This should also have a reference of when (date/time) they accepted the asset as being in their position. Other pure asset management system do this. I had a case where a user who was leaving my company denied we had given them a tablet device, despite it being assigned to them. It was IT's word v the user's word. The asset is now "missing". Obviously this should then work in reserve where the user can hand back the asset, go into the portal and update…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Ability to edit the "Name" field for custom asset types

When creating a custom asset type, the Name field is the default required field. I would like the ability to call this field something other than "Name".

For example, if I create an asset type for phones, the default required field is "Name". The name of the phone is not unique as many people have the same exact phone (ie, Cisco IP Phone 7965). I want to change the default required field to be "Serial Number" since it's unique, and Name be another field for the actual name of the phone.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base