K2000

Please tell us how you’d like to see the K2000 Deployment Appliance product improved!

How can we improve the K2000?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. BIOS Change as a Preinstallation Task

Have the ability to change the BIOS depending upon what the machine will be used for.

ie Student WS: BIOS Password set, Boot to NIC first, Fast Boot on, WOL enabled, LowPowerS5 off, etc..

81 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Adding a single SI/KI to multiple RSAs at one time

If I create a new image and I want to sync that out to all my RSAs, it would be nice to have an option to add that item to sync to "selected RSAs" or "All RSAs" instead of having to add the image individually to each RSA, which is painful when you have 10+ RSAs.

7 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        under review  ·  Alex Au YeungAlex Au Yeung responded

As we look at a complete UX revamp next year, we’ll take many of these suggestions into consideration.

• Slipstream Patches Into scripted Install

It would be very beneficial to have the K2000 be able to slipstream MS patches similar to nlite/RT7lite with all current patches. Right now a Windows 7 sp1 Scripted install has 170 patches pending from MS.
        I see our K1000 as a maintainer of machines not an initial configuratior.

71 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          5 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re looking at this after we get more K1000 synchronization built into the K2000.

• Be able to restore the K2000 database

I just found out that you can not restore the K2000 database even though you can backup the K2000 database. I want to be able to have all my settings if there is a catastrophic failure with my server or just need to refresh the hardware. I have to recreate all my labels, users, Ldap authentication, all my general settings, date time settings, relink all of my RSAs and K1000.

90 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            under review  ·  10 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Role-based access control (RBAC)

Regulate access to various functionality based on user roles and permissions. This would include granular access to capabilities such as:

- Logon to KBE
            - Access to specific production images
            - Server/workstation roles
            - Samba share access
            - Differentiate between access to deploy images, and access to log into connected machines as an admin.

189 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              under review  ·  25 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Capture Full Backup of SDA

Currently, backups are only done if a change to the item being backed up has occurred. This is incremental behavior. We should have the option to specify this behavior (via checkbox, for example).

What I would like is the ability to do a full backup of everything at will - scheduled or otherwise.

An example of a problem arising from the current solution is this: empty the Restore share and then try to back everything up. You cannot. If you offload your backup and then lose it, you cannot make another full backup.

Ideally, everything would be rolled up into…

19 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Replication to RSA

If we deploy an RSA to each location, why can't I use it as a K1000 replication point? Doesn't it make sense to use the RSA for this purpose as well as K2000 tasks?

68 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  under review  ·  7 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Ability to apply K1 labels from the K2 as postinstall tasks.

It would be beneficial to be able to leverage the label feature in the K1 at time of system deployment.

115 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Run scripts apart from image deployments or scripted installs

It would be nice to be able to run scripts (such as to configure BIOS, etc.) apart from a scripted install or image deployment. As it is we must have several deployments that have different combinations of scripts in the pre-install task area which makes things confusing and cluttered for our technicians when choosing which deployment option is appropriate. We have several image deployment options just for Windows 7 Ent. x64 alone; all of which take up space.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • template for images / Post-Installation Tasks

we are using several images with the same order of same post-installation tasks.

It would be great, if we could create a template with an order of post-installation tasks and attach the template to the images.

Background: When something has to be changed / Post-Installation task has to be exchanged, every image has to be changed manually.

When there would be a template for that, then just the template would have to be changed and all images which are using that template would get that change(s)....

36 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        under review  ·  2 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Logical Installation task

Would like to see the k2000 have the ability to do logical installations based on chasis type. Such as desktop or laptops. There are applications that only need to be installed on a laptop and it would be great to automate that based on the type of chasis.

11 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          under review  ·  1 comment  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Start post install tasks manually on a client for testing purposes

It would be great to have an option to start the post install Task process on a test Client that has already the OS installed, so you don't have to run a full scripted install every time you want to test a postinstallation Task.

24 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            3 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            under review  ·  Ken GalvinKen Galvin responded

Thank you for your suggestion. I have put this in our product feature backlog. Please vote for this feature if you are interested so we can move it up the priority list. If a workaround is discovered, it will be posted here.

• Kace agent automatically install on the K2000 as a post install task when new updates come out

Wouldn't it be great if when a new agent update came out on the K1000 that you wouldn't have to manually update your post install task for the agent on the K2000.

7 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Agent  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re looking into extending the linking and integration abilities between a K1 and K2 and this would be one of the features we’d implement when that time comes.

• USMT

I think that the USMT feature of the K2 is very useful, however there
                              needs to be a way to push out the captured state independent of a SI. Something equivalent to the "Run Now" feature of a K1 script would be great!

8 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Make Windows Share imaging hack a standard feature (non-RSA)

RSA deployment is not an option for our environment, so found this with the help of Gerald Mack (and Brian Collins)

http://www.itninja.com/blog/view/wim-storage-freeing-up-space-on-your-k2000-if-you-are-using-wim-s

Gerald also provided this DOS command which worked perfectly:
                                "net use t: /d && net use t: \\netshare\share /u:username password"

For those offices with small pipes, we load the local KBE via USB key, which we seldom need to update so that is perfect. Ultimately I feel the K2000 should have a function similar to the Replication Shares of the K1000. I believe this would be a major selling point for new customers.

12 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have some discussion about some exciting things that include parts of this suggestion, stay tuned!

• charlie root email

Please allow the ability to customise the email sent from Charlie Root (K2000). At the moment it doesn't seem to be configurable. We want to change it's 'from' address, and the display name 'Charlie root' to something more meaningful. And make that email alert more configurable, like how often its sent, what to put in 'subject', etc.

96 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    under review  ·  6 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Driver Feed for Non-Dell systems

Managing non-Dell systems with the K2000 can be hit or miss. you should be able to feed in drivers for non-dell systems, even without the other manufacturers support.

Kace users could submit model specific driver packages to a temporary Kace FTP site, and Kace or other kace users could test and validate the drivers.

Once validated, the drivers could be included in the driver feed library alongside the existing Dell systems.

I have many great Lenovo notebook Driver Packages (T500, T510, T520, W520 etc...) I would love to share, but could use some working HP Desktop Driver Packages (like the…

66 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      4 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Researching ways to integrate the ITNinja community, and this may be one of the big draws. We’ll look into it.

• Automate the reboot count process

Rather than having the xml answer file plug in the number of reboots, look for an automated way of calculating the reboots or count them as the system reboots and update status to know how many are still needed. Sometimes, I come up one short or one more than needed. Argh!

23 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        10 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        under review  ·  Ken GalvinKen Galvin responded

This is under review and we encourage others to vote to move it up on the priority list.

• 12 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          2 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          under review  ·  John KarabaicJohn Karabaic responded

Can you flesh out the use case further for me? Give me some examples of what kind of SI’s you’d do, the pre- and post-install tasks, etc.

• Adding Dell Diagnostics or memory testing

Add Dell Diagnostics or memory testing to the KPE recovery options.

77 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            10 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base