SDA (K2000)

Please tell us how you’d like to see the System Deployment Appliance product improved!

1. When gathering machine name, IP, MAC info, by default also include the CMID, MS new way of licensing useing KMS.

At PCC we built our own KMS server that replicates to MS KMS server for licensing complience. It would be great if by default this was one of the colum lines in the infor along with computer name, IP, MAC etc, that could now include CMID. If there was an area on the info page to type in the FQN of the KMS server...that would be helpfull and save much time as well. Maybe have a box to check to use or not use.

Larry Reaney
    Sever Administrator, PCC/TSS/ELC

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Driver Feed for Non-Dell systems

Managing non-Dell systems with the K2000 can be hit or miss. you should be able to feed in drivers for non-dell systems, even without the other manufacturers support.

Kace users could submit model specific driver packages to a temporary Kace FTP site, and Kace or other kace users could test and validate the drivers.

Once validated, the drivers could be included in the driver feed library alongside the existing Dell systems.

I have many great Lenovo notebook Driver Packages (T500, T510, T520, W520 etc...) I would love to share, but could use some working HP Desktop Driver Packages (like the…

169 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Alex Au Yeung responded

Researching ways to integrate the ITNinja community, and this may be one of the big draws. We’ll look into it.

3. Progressbar for package exporting

A progressbar will be handy when exporting packages because it can take a long time to complete. Now the K2 only says that he is currently exporting.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Xenserver support for Remote site appliance.

Having a Xenserver Remote Site Appliance, or an ISO available so customers can install the appliance on their virtual environment.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Upload Background Image for PXE Graphical Boot Menu

I would like to be able to change the background of the PXE graphical boot menu to the logo of my organization. I am able to manually do this with FogProject but am not allowed SSH access to the K2000.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Please include an exclusion list for k-images

I would like to see the ability to exclude files from being included in a k-image such as pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys to allow the images to be smaller

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  John Karabaic responded

Great idea, if we can make it foolproof so that the image is bootable. Need to have a “never exclude” list.

7. Monitoring via snmp and open manage

I'd like full support for snmp so that the k2000 can be monitored for issues. Also full dell open manage support on the appliance.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Be able to restore the K2000 database

I just found out that you can not restore the K2000 database even though you can backup the K2000 database. I want to be able to have all my settings if there is a catastrophic failure with my server or just need to refresh the hardware. I have to recreate all my labels, users, Ldap authentication, all my general settings, date time settings, relink all of my RSAs and K1000.

139 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  10 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. run scripts as administrator

The Kace 1000 has the option to run a script as administrator, system, or any other user. having this option on the 2000 would greatly help us in our environment

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you please elaborate on the use case for having a post-install task run as anyone other than the local administrator, as they now do? Why wouldn’t you just have K1000 tasks run that need special privileges?

10. Capture Full Backup of SDA

Currently, backups are only done if a change to the item being backed up has occurred. This is incremental behavior. We should have the option to specify this behavior (via checkbox, for example).

What I would like is the ability to do a full backup of everything at will - scheduled or otherwise.

An example of a problem arising from the current solution is this: empty the Restore share and then try to back everything up. You cannot. If you offload your backup and then lose it, you cannot make another full backup.

Ideally, everything would be rolled up into…

39 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Provide estimated size when purging unused K-image files

It would be helpful to see an estimated size calculation before attempting to purge K-image files.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Logical Installation task

Would like to see the k2000 have the ability to do logical installations based on chasis type. Such as desktop or laptops. There are applications that only need to be installed on a laptop and it would be great to automate that based on the type of chasis.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you flesh out the use case further for me? Give me some examples of what kind of SI’s you’d do, the pre- and post-install tasks, etc.

14. Add Custom Boot Images

Is it possible to:

Create a share on the KBox2000 called kbox_custom for people to add their own .img or .iso files too with the intention of developing a system which allows the booting of custom iso's and img files, ie floppy images for things like running asset tagging utilities.

Suggestions for making it work:

Because the method for booting the current iso’s seems to be through the pxelinux kernel, add a section where they can create their own boot strings and tack them onto the bottom of the boot menu.
    Something like what I’ve depicted in the picture attached…

56 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  11 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Block level imaging of systems

We would like the ability to do block level imaging again. Unfortunately this ability was removed with the removal of the linux kbe in the newest K2000 release. So either implement your own program to do block level imaging or allow the customer to create a section in the WinPE environment where they can use 3rd party imaging programs like Acronis or Ghost. We had this ability when we bought Kace and now it was removed. If Acronis & Ghost can do block level imaging in WinPE, Kace should be able to do the same. This truly limits are ability…

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Adding Dell Diagnostics or memory testing

Add Dell Diagnostics or memory testing to the KPE recovery options.

91 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Dynamic MAC & Host Name querying between K1000 & K2000

Auto-populate Host Name of machines in K2000 System Inventory via K2000 query of MAC address in K1000 Computer Inventory.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Ways to unify the identity of machines on the K1000 and K2000 are on the roadmap, and some have been implemented in 3.3. Unclear if MAC address is reliable enough to assure identity, what with ARP issues and the like, but we’re looking at ways to make integrated appliances work better together.

19. 69 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’d like to improve schedulling and automated tasks across the board on the K2000.

I’m not as enthusiastic about supporting user state migration to non-K2000 storage. The advantage of the K2000 is that everything’s centralized. We already have export of user state in 3.3. If the problem is not having enough native storage on the K2000, we’ve heard that loud and clear.

20. Automatic Naming of Computer from K1000

If i'm rebuilding a computer the Kbox should rename the computer correctly based on the information in the K1000. The old scripts are klunky. Maybe just a simple database/SOAP query to the K1000 for basic naming.

146 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  John Karabaic responded

This is part of a long-term vision in the roadmap towards restoring a machine’s identity on the K1000 when rebuilt from the K2000, with incremental progress being made in each release.

• Don't see your idea?

SDA (K2000)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base