SDA (K2000)

Please tell us how you’d like to see the System Deployment Appliance product improved!

1. Hide Scripted installed or System Images from KBE

It would be nice to have the ability to "hide" certain images or scripted installs from within the KBE environment. We have images that only get used once or twice a year and our list of images is almost 100 so if you could "hide" them from the list our technicians wouldn't be able to select the old images.

54 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    4 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Need Post Installation Tasks to Continue after Reboot

For scripted installations, the post installation needs to be able to continue after a reboot. There are instances (especially with drivers) that you want to restart the computer and then finish running through the post installation tasks. Currently all post installation tasks must run before you can reboot. After the reboot you must switch to use the K1000 for additional tasks.

48 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Alex Au Yeung responded

REAL-TIME task sequencing engine is now a reality in the upcoming K2000 3.6 release! We’ve entered release candidate phase as of this week at Dell World! If you’re interested in participating in the RC, let me know at alex@kace.com!

3. Have the Driver Feed work as a post install on imageing

the Driver Feed only works on scripted install. I would like the Driver Feed feature to work on system imaging as well.

46 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Easy import of Managed Software Installs and Scripting from K1000 to K2000 Post installation tasks.

For me I have found myself re-adding software/scripts already configured in the K1000 to the K2000 Post Installation Tasks.

Instead of having to re-upload the associated files and commands to create a new Post Installation Task it would be awesome if we could import them from the K1000 Managed Software Installs or Scripting sections.

46 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  RogerL responded

Import of Managed Installs completed in version 5.0. No current plans to implement scripting.

5. Common library of software that is available in both K1000 & K2000

Ability to share software distributions from the K1000 to the K2000 and the K2000 Post Installation library of applications to the K1000. So that software only has to be uploaded and command-line configured to a single environment. Also ability to disable the linking of out-dated distributions.

45 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  6 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add SMB2 support for better performance

The SMB2 protocol gives better performance than the NT1 protocol.
    The time and bandwidth used for copying the WIM file could be optimized with it.

On "Samba 4.X" versions it is now the default configuration, but on 3.6.X it was needed to activate it by adding "max protocol = SMB2" in the "[global]" section of "smb.conf".

The current Samba version on the K2000 is "Samba 3.6.12", so it would be great if you could either upgrade to "Samba 4.X" (the 3.X series is no more supported) or allow us to select the "max protocol" from a menu in the web…

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Have media manager load local drivers

instead of uploading the drivers to the smb in the appliance, just extract them to a folder locally and point the media manager to it.
    this will save time and also avoid samba concurrent connections issues.

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Migrate one SDA to another SDA

Implement process to migrate one SDA to another SDA

34 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  5 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow upload of an existing WIM

If you have an existing WIM image which you want to deploy via the K2000, you need to manually apply it to a device then capture it from the KBE to get it into the appliance.
    The ability to upload an existing WIM direct to the K2000 appliance would be very useful. I suspect it would also make it more attractive for organisations to move from other imaging toolsets to KACE if they could deploy their existing WIM images through the K2000.

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Multicasting RSA

If possible, it might be a good idea to allow the RSA's to handle multicast requests also. Having machines join a session via the KBE would be a good way to implement this.

Supporting IGMP (instead of just PGM) would be nice also.

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Automate the reboot count process

Rather than having the xml answer file plug in the number of reboots, look for an automated way of calculating the reboots or count them as the system reboots and update status to know how many are still needed. Sometimes, I come up one short or one more than needed. Argh!

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. SSL/https

Add the ability to import an SSL certificate to allow a secure web connection to the administrative console.

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  4 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Ability to split images for FAT32 complliance

An offline deployment from a usb stick is easy for windows 7 (non uefi machines) as they can boot from NTFS, which doesnt have the same limitations on file size as fat32.

But due to UEFI, its only possible to boot a windows 8 machine from a FAT32 flash drive. Due to images being larger than the fat32 file size limit, offline deployments are difficult to perform.

It would be nice to have a feature that, when capturing the image from a master device, to have the ability to span the image over multiple files. Being able to specify the…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. SMTP Authentication

This submission is to vote for the addition of SMTP authentication to the K2000. Currently you can only supply the server name or IP with anonymous authentication. This would be helpful for users with email systems that require authentication - such as Office365 shops.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 10 GB compatibility with K2000

Would be great for the K2000 OS to be able to support 10GB. I have noticed that since the the K2000 only supports up to 1GB, this severly limits how many machines I can image at once. I can only image around 8-10 machines at a time before I saturate the 1GB virtual NIC. All of my other VM's run at 10GB and I got the network to support it, would be great if the K2000 could as well. Thanks

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Link Aggregation / Nic Bonding / More Bandwidth

We would like the ability to add link aggregation to our k2000, with the size of images growing, and use of the system getting higher and higher we are slowly going to see bottlenecks that a single gigabit nic cannot keep up with. by allowing link aggregation we can speed up the uplink to the switch then speed up the uplink to the backplane on the switch that the imaging machines are plugged into.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  8 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Ability to put multiple NICs on different networks

We work in a highly secure enviroment with many different vlan's secured from other vlan's it would be nice to be able to put a nic on each vlan so i can image that network w/o having to change ip on switch and kbox(then a reboot of kbox not sure why) . Also I will have issues connecting rsa's due to this inconvienance

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add Entire Directories to Images

Ability to not only create a directory as you can now and populate it one file at a time, but actually upload whole directories including their files into system images.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Decrease delays in adding support for new Mac OS X versions, starting with 10.8 Mountain Lion

Standardizing on a single imaging suite for both Mac OS X and Windows was a big change for us; since we have roughly equal numbers of each that make up our pool of college-owned systems, a fully functional environment is equally critical for each of these platforms.
    I am concerned that timely support for Mac OS X seems to be slipping, and this is only becoming more painful as Apple seems to be returning to a near-yearly OS release schedule. 10.7 was not supported in K2000 NetBoot until more than a year after its full release. 10.8 has been out…

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Alex Au Yeung responded

OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) is now supported in K2000 3.6, which has just entered RC! If you need it NOW for your own deployment, and want the release candidate, let me know at alex@kace.com!

• Don't see your idea?

SDA (K2000)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base