How can we improve the SDA (K2000)?

RSA as K1000 Replication Point

If we deploy an RSA to each location, why can't I use it as a K1000 replication point? Doesn't it make sense to use the RSA for this purpose as well as K2000 tasks?

81 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Brian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • William Mullen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we get an update on this? It's really inconceivable that I can't use the RSA devices I already have at each location as a replication share... instead I need a whole OTHER system to do it. How hard would it be to integrate a "pseudo-agent" and SMB share on the RSA just so that we can see it in the replication share drop-down?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Get rid of one and sell a product that does both imaging and installs/management. The customers that have trusted KACE with both tasks should not have to jump through hoops to build installs on both appliances and replicate to their remote sites. This should have been well planned out before marketing the TWO devices. FIX IT right and don't add third party plug-ins and free tools to mitigate the lack of integration.

• G-Man commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can do this - we used a 1TB HDD on a desktop (win7) and run VMplayer for the RSA using 250GB leaving 700GB (-50GB for OS) for any share you care to set up. We just have to balance site size using a desktop that doesn't have the same I/O processes.

• Rod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some of the suggestions to add 3rd party shares to the host is frustrating; this runs contrary to the selling point of what Kace is. Kace designed a product which helps integrate and simplify, because increasing environment complexity only yields requiring more resources to manage it.

If we were a VMware shop, I might feel differently but since Hyper-V is not officially supported, I have needed to create ESXi boxes to host the RSA which I feel is the one exception I am willing to make but now I need to make one more exception. Now multiply every exception by 30 because that is how many remote sites we have and we are still growing, so one exception in my world makes a lot of difference.

The more I work with Kace the more I love it. But once in a while I am flabbergasted at some missing functionality. So rather than b!tc# and moan about it, I have every intention of helping to make it better. Willing to pay more votes if that's what it takes.

My request is either support Hyper-V or make the RSA link-able to both K1000 and K2000 (post-release tweaks or install kits are acceptable)

Here was the question I originally posed:
    http://www.itninja.com/question/how-to-leverage-rsa-as-a-k1000-replication-share

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see the RSA as more of a mini 1000 AND 2000 system. It should easily run a windows share. This system should do everything the main K systems do, at remote locations. Multicast/imaging/WOL/installs.

As a side effect, you get one less VM which translates to lower memory use and less windows/RHEL licenses used. This helps for smaller locations.

Feedback and Knowledge Base