How can we improve the SDA (K2000)?

Mac netbooting across subnets

We would like to be able to netboot a Mac across subnets (we have 39 academic subnets on campus, out of about 107 total subnets) without having to issue a bless command on each Mac or having to have an RSA on each subnet. We have a 10.5 server running DeployStudio that handles this just fine, but I'd like to be able to use KBOX for all of our imaging (Windows imaging on KBOX is much nicer than using Ghost).

288 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Mike Benchoff shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see this too, but since this is actually a limitation of the operating system, I am not sure how Dell can fix this.

Apple says "The most direct solution is to install a network interface card (NIC) for each additional subnet, then configure each new NIC properly for the subnet which it will be connected to."

I am evaluating KACE and FileWave and we really need a better solution for KACE to netboot across subnets. I don't mind a K2000 in each building but we have multiple subnets in each building. FileWave was able to edit 1 file on the VM and it worked. KACE needs to make it happen or Dell will loose a client.

We need to have the ability for the K2000 to image across VLANs. Out Mac computers are on a separate VLAN from our servers. Thanks

• freddy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hi, i need help i want to deploy mac os x in my environment for the first time i've create the netboot environement so when i want to set it as a default boot in general settings it doesn't appear.
    what can i do else?

• Andy Jelagin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without the ability to NetBoot from the K2000, we may as well stick to the (open source) solution we already have in place.

• Drew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would VERY much like this as we have MANY vlans. this is something that is required for a "enterprise" based solution... Altiris has it..

• Benjamin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a requirement for Enterprise installations. It is not reasonable to install an RSA for every VLAN on our network that has a Mac.

Please add support to netboot across subnets. This is an important part of using kace deployment in our environment. We have a lot of Mac users and need this support.

• Lou Kalis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I request that the planned addition to Ubuntu be postponed until this matter is resolved. OSX has a much larger marketshare than Linux at the desktop level. More marketshare equals a great need, and more revenue for Dell.

Just spoke to the Kace Management and Developer Team. They do not fully support netbooting across subnets using iphelper. They also do NOT have it in the que for a future feature release. They believe that using an RSA on every vlan is adequate. The only way they will consider this important is based on votes. I found out we have to vote on things like this. I can't believe they consider booting outside of your imaging servers vlan as a "feature". Oh well, it's their rules, we just pay for them....

• Lou Kalis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our District has 22 subsets that we need to be able to netboot to. Having work arounds is not sufficient when claiming to be an enterprise class product. This issue needs to be made a priority. At the very least, there needs to be better communication to the marketing dept. as to the limitations this product possesses. I can't believe we have to vote on this as a feature request. This is standard procedure with other products, including the K2000 when it pertains to windows imaging.

• David Kucmierz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this needs to be revisited with the influx of OS X devices in many organizations. RSA on every subnet in large environments is not feasible, and the current K2 cannot replicate OS X Server ability to listen for BSDP discovery packets on both ports 67 and 68.

Feedback and Knowledge Base