How can we improve the SDA (K2000)?

Common library of software that is available in both K1000 & K2000

Ability to share software distributions from the K1000 to the K2000 and the K2000 Post Installation library of applications to the K1000. So that software only has to be uploaded and command-line configured to a single environment. Also ability to disable the linking of out-dated distributions.

45 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Corey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chuck, no matter what, the SDA will always copy over the managed install, which I think is the way it should be, though there are two copies, you want a copy on the SDA itself and not dependent on the connection of the SMA because there could be issues at any given time with that connection. We do have a story/enhancement in which the SDA will automatically sync the payload from the SMA if a new version is detected (and the user wants), but I personally don't know where that is on the roadmap. I'm not an SMA person, so can't speak much about it and was unaware that it could not import an MI from an alternate download location. I think that should be a different uservoice entry if you can make it. I believe the point in closure here was that the basic functionality of this entry was accomplished. Extensions beyond it should be a new entry to be considered. I'm not meaning to get in a back and forth, just trying to explain why this was closed. As mentioned, we are looking at how to improve the functionality, and we hope that you will see we have taken this to heart and that we continue to knock off the top voted user voice entries. Please feel free to look me up on ITNinja and shoot me an email to continue discussing how we can further improve the product.

• Chuck Steel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm with Marc, I would not consider the Import SMA Managed Install a common library. It requires having two separate copies of the installers and updates do not automatically transfer over. Also, the import function doesn't work for managed installs that use an alternate download location.

Marc,
        The export from K1 and import to K2 is the old process (and still works). If you update your SDA to (at least) 5.0 and your SMA to (at least 7.2) and link the two of them together you will see a new post installation task. From the choose action drop down menu, choose import sma managed install and it will automatically pull the payload over. If you update the payload on the SMA, you can then tell the SDA to bring over the newest version.

• Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree that this is completed. The ability to export a managed installation from the K1000 and import it into the K2000 is not sufficient, as it still requires manual operation as versions of the Managed Installation change.

Actually, 5.0 allows Managed Installs from the SMA to be imported into the SDA, so this thread should be closed as "Completed"

• zgillette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know that this is an old thread, but I think that this should be revisited. There have been no changes with this and I still have to work between the two updating deployments.

Feedback and Knowledge Base