Decrease delays in adding support for new Mac OS X versions, starting with 10.8 Mountain Lion
Standardizing on a single imaging suite for both Mac OS X and Windows was a big change for us; since we have roughly equal numbers of each that make up our pool of college-owned systems, a fully functional environment is equally critical for each of these platforms.
I am concerned that timely support for Mac OS X seems to be slipping, and this is only becoming more painful as Apple seems to be returning to a near-yearly OS release schedule. 10.7 was not supported in K2000 NetBoot until more than a year after its full release. 10.8 has been out in preview since February, in full release for 90 days, and there's no word on an ETA for K2000 support. Meanwhile, we're preparing to order some new Apple computers that almost certainly won't boot anything less than 10.8.x., and our newest MacBook Pros and Airs are highly unstable in the 10.7.5 NetBoot environment. This is actually a bigger deal than Windows 8 for us, because we can simply choose to hold off upgrading our images to Windows 8. With Mac OS X, once Apple has released a major new OS version, it's typically only a few months before they begin shipping new computers that require that new version. If we end up having to build and maintain a separate non-KACE imaging tool for NetBooting and imaging all Macs that are less than a year old (which represents the vast majority of our imaging work), it will become less and less clear why we are using the K2000 to image Macs at all.
If Dell KACE is not already enrolled in the Mac Developer Program, please do so. We're not expecting magic, but not even having an ETA for support for a Mac OS that has been available in the retail channel for 90 days (and in developer preview for 9 months) is really problematic.
OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) is now supported in K2000 3.6, which has just entered RC! If you need it NOW for your own deployment, and want the release candidate, let me know at email@example.com!
Jarred Wheeler commented
I whole heartedly agree with the comments here. It's a bit ridiculous that we have to wait for you guys to support the latest OSX for months. We have to keep a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner around for these reasons. I know Kace pays for at least 1 apple developer's license....meaning that y'all have about 6 months with the software before it hits the public - why do we have to wait so long for support in our imaging product?
Charles Thomson commented
...and now Yosemite is here. Will the wait for K2000 support be as long as with Mavericks?
Andrew Stevens commented
OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) is on the horizon, like Troy, I'm far more interested in supporting newer OS versions as soon as possible, than new features, and a new release for K1000 / K2000 should be made as soon as possible following a new version of Windows or OS X just adding support for those new versions, no new features.