Suggesting further improvements to WIM image handling in 3.5 and above
Hello, there may be a few posts around this idea but they are lacking detail and mostly attack the changes in 3.5 when it comes to WIM's. I can see the merit's in what KACE has done in terms of "cleanliness" however, unfortunately 3.5 has been a step backwards in terms of functionality in regards to WIM's.
Reverting to the old method officially isn't going to happen, although we can all use the old method if we want, with just a few more steps. However rather than that, here's my suggestions on what needs to be changed post-3.5 to bring WIM imaging back up to par:
1) Allow multiple System Images to point to the same WIM file: I, as many do, don't have the available disk space to store multiple copies of the same WIM just for different image layouts.
2) Allow servicing of the WIM files: In 3.4 I would take the WIM, mount it, make changes, then commit and save the WIM back to the petemp\ImageStore folder. In 3.5 we have to re-capture the WIM every time which basically defeats the purpose of a WIM in the first place. A great feature would be to be able to make changes to the WIM without having to take it offline/out of the peinst\WIM folder.
3) Don't copy the WIM to the local machine before deploying. This wasn't necessary in 3.4 and certainly adds time to each deployment.
Thanks for reading my suggestions and hopefully some or all of them can be implemented.
I have split the ideas from this WIM image handling request into three separate suggestions for better tracking. Please take a moment and place your votes for the 2 remaining suggestions that are most important to you:
1. Allow multiple imaging tasks to point to a single WIM file – https://kace.uservoice.com/forums/82717/suggestions/20372029
2. Modify WIM Image files (feature started)
3. Don’t copy the WIM to the local machine before deploying – https://kace.uservoice.com/forums/82717/suggestions/20371981
The offline servicing of WIM's would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to say that having the ability to create multiple imaging tasks that reference a single WIM would be equally beneficial. Any idea if these are on the roadmap?