SDA (K2000)

Please tell us how you’d like to see the System Deployment Appliance product improved!

How can we improve the SDA (K2000)?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Mac netbooting across subnets

We would like to be able to netboot a Mac across subnets (we have 39 academic subnets on campus, out of about 107 total subnets) without having to issue a bless command on each Mac or having to have an RSA on each subnet. We have a 10.5 server running DeployStudio that handles this just fine, but I'd like to be able to use KBOX for all of our imaging (Windows imaging on KBOX is much nicer than using Ghost).

288 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    16 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Bob Crosley responded

We are still planning on Mac OS X Server integration in a future release to support this.

2. UEFI Secure boot

UEFI Secure Boot.

With the release of uefi pxe boots, we can now load images on our dell computers with much less interaction during the unbox. We are still forced to disable secure boot on all new systems before we can boot them.

1. Secure boot is a prevalent security patch that negates boot malware from infecting systems. this alone should be reason for integrating secure boot loads

2. all our equipment ships from dell with secure boot enabled under uefi, so I feel our Dell K2000 should be able to image Dell equipment out of the box without needing…

246 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  10 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Automatic Naming of Computer from K1000

If i'm rebuilding a computer the Kbox should rename the computer correctly based on the information in the K1000. The old scripts are klunky. Maybe just a simple database/SOAP query to the K1000 for basic naming.

138 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  John Karabaic responded

This is part of a long-term vision in the roadmap towards restoring a machine’s identity on the K1000 when rebuilt from the K2000, with incremental progress being made in each release.

4. Be able to restore the K2000 database

I just found out that you can not restore the K2000 database even though you can backup the K2000 database. I want to be able to have all my settings if there is a catastrophic failure with my server or just need to refresh the hardware. I have to recreate all my labels, users, Ldap authentication, all my general settings, date time settings, relink all of my RSAs and K1000.

133 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  11 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Driver Feed for Non-Dell systems

Managing non-Dell systems with the K2000 can be hit or miss. you should be able to feed in drivers for non-dell systems, even without the other manufacturers support.

Kace users could submit model specific driver packages to a temporary Kace FTP site, and Kace or other kace users could test and validate the drivers.

Once validated, the drivers could be included in the driver feed library alongside the existing Dell systems.

I have many great Lenovo notebook Driver Packages (T500, T510, T520, W520 etc...) I would love to share, but could use some working HP Desktop Driver Packages (like the…

107 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Alex Au Yeung responded

Researching ways to integrate the ITNinja community, and this may be one of the big draws. We’ll look into it.

6. Adding Dell Diagnostics or memory testing

Add Dell Diagnostics or memory testing to the KPE recovery options.

91 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Detach the image media from the image deployment job

The idea is to have the same process for the Imaging that the scripted installation. Then the image captured will be stored in the media Library and not in the deployment image tab. To create an image deployment job, we will select the image in a dropdown list.

70 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Link tasks to a deployment and not to an image

It would be more practical to link tasks (pre-install, mid-install, post-install) to a deployment rather than an image. We are several people to deploy the same image but we use different pre and post-install tasks... If each person changes the tasks for each deployment of the same image we risk to have conflicts...
    Actually we duplicate the image to have different tasks but it's not a good solution because the same wim stored many times on the K2000 Appliance.
    Another solution would be to just duplicate a link on the wim file and not the entire wim.

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Start post install tasks manually on a client for testing purposes

It would be great to have an option to start the post install Task process on a test Client that has already the OS installed, so you don't have to run a full scripted install every time you want to test a postinstallation Task.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Ken Galvin responded

Thank you for your suggestion. I have put this in our product feature backlog. Please vote for this feature if you are interested so we can move it up the priority list. If a workaround is discovered, it will be posted here.

10. Add SMB v2/v3 support when scanning user states.

To scan user states with USMT from the K2000 web UI, SMB v1 must be enabled on the client pc. Support has confirmed this. There are known vulnerabilities with SMB v1 and most network admins have disabled it in their environments. Please provide support for newer versions of SMB.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Capture Full Backup of SDA

Currently, backups are only done if a change to the item being backed up has occurred. This is incremental behavior. We should have the option to specify this behavior (via checkbox, for example).

What I would like is the ability to do a full backup of everything at will - scheduled or otherwise.

An example of a problem arising from the current solution is this: empty the Restore share and then try to back everything up. You cannot. If you offload your backup and then lose it, you cannot make another full backup.

Ideally, everything would be rolled up into…

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Join multicast session from KBE

Right now, there doesn't appear to be a way to join a multicast session from the KBE. This would be very helpful if we get a new shipment of PCs in, and set them all up. Then, we just tell the K2 to start the session and wait for 30 clients. This way we don't need to harvest mac addresses before hand... We can just deploy.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add Entire Directories to Images

Ability to not only create a directory as you can now and populate it one file at a time, but actually upload whole directories including their files into system images.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. SMTP Authentication

This submission is to vote for the addition of SMTP authentication to the K2000. Currently you can only supply the server name or IP with anonymous authentication. This would be helpful for users with email systems that require authentication - such as Office365 shops.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Modifying Post Installation Tasks In Each Deployment

Having the ability to modify the post install tasks in each deployment separately so that it is not required to create multiple versions of a single script, or to re-script and replace the post install every time you want to change it. Basically, post install tasks able to accept parameters assigned in the deployment detail page.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add Username to eligible Appliance Logs

Currently if a user updates the SDA (K2000) version, the Appliance Upgrade Log only has the date and time of the update. There is no way to see who started the process.

[Mon Jan 7 19:54:22 EST 2019] [notice] XXX Begin K2000 Server Update to 6.1.251 from 6.0.425
    [Mon Jan 7 19:54:22 EST 2019] [notice] XXX===========================================================================
    [Mon Jan 7 19:54:22 EST 2019] [notice] Removing backup 5.1.84_backup.sql.0.gz
    [Mon Jan 7 19:54:22 EST 2019] [notice] Removing old database backups
    [Mon Jan 7 19:54:22 EST 2019] [notice] kbox_upgrade:: NOTICE: Running kbox_upgrade.php part 1
    [Mon Jan 7 19:54:21 EST 2019] [notice] kbox_upgrade:: NOTICE: Starting…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Monitoring via snmp and open manage

I'd like full support for snmp so that the k2000 can be monitored for issues. Also full dell open manage support on the appliance.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow option to choose which driver feed models to sync to RSA instead of all drivers downloaded on K2

Allow user to either choose to sync all driver feed items from the K2000 appliance or instead not sync those files and make the Remote Site Appliance Driver Feed available to choose specific models to download drivers to the RSA.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Xenserver support for Remote site appliance.

Having a Xenserver Remote Site Appliance, or an ISO available so customers can install the appliance on their virtual environment.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Upload of customised Mac Netboot images, or allow K Image to work from external Netboot Server.

We currently use our Mac hosted Netboot image as a imaging and Disk First Aid emergency repair netboot. Unfortunately the K2000 will not allow custom netboot images to be uploaded, and the application K-Image cannot be run outside of the K2000 hosted image.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

SDA (K2000)

Feedback and Knowledge Base